Careers at Alice
Alice Isn't a Person, She's a Team
And we'd love to have you join.
We're interested in talented, creative and passionate people joining our team who believe in our mission to give people a better way to buy the goods that keep their homes running.
Please feel free to submit your interest to one of our posted positions or make a general submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some things to know before you apply:
- We have big plans to disrupt the traditional retail market.
- Everything we do is focused on empowering our customer.
- We work really hard.
- We have a lot of fun.
Senior Software Engineer
Alice.com is growing. We're looking for senior software engineers with strong backgrounds in web development, both on the client and server sides, who want to join a fun, sociable team of bright engineers who excel at getting stuff done. We do our web work with Ruby and Rails and much of our supply chain management with Java. Ideal candidates will be equally comfortable discussing jQuery selector mechanics, Ruby monkey patching, web services, and MySQL explain plans with a team of passionate peers. Candidates should enjoy hands-on work in a self-directed, fast-paced environment that gives you room to apply your expertise and make an impact. We expect to learn a lot from you, but also expect that you will learn a lot from us.
Alice.com is an internet start-up founded by a management team with a history of successful start-ups, the most recent of which sold to Microsoft in 2007 (Jellyfish.com). We're headquartered in Middleton, WI. You can learn more about Alice.com by reading our community blog and by doing some shopping on our site.
- Quickly grasp high-level business goals, vet requirements, and turn them into effective solutions
- Collaborate with management and other team members to define requirements
- Contribute in architectural discussions and be responsible for implementing all or parts of a project
- Be passionate, take pride in your work, and have a sense of ownership
- Build stuff. Get stuff done.
- A minimum of 5 years experience working with OO languages. Ruby preferred
- If you're a Java guru, a desire to embrace Ruby and get stuff done quickly
- A minimum of 5 years experience developing, testing, and maintaining interactive web apps
- A minimum of 5 years experience designing databases and working with SQL
- The ability to work in a high-energy, somewhat chaotic environment
Principles only. Please email your resume to jobs(at)alice.com. and put Senior Software Engineer on the subject line.